Re: Confused at redboot.bin and redboot.elf...

[ Please CC the list. Individual support is not something we do for free.
Mailing the list means everyone gets the benefit of answers. ]

David wrote:

> Hi, thanks for reply. I don't speak french, so I don't know whether "Vive
> l'amour" is correct or not. :-) Please correct me if it's incorrect.

I was just thinking of my own surname, that's all :-).

> Ok...this is not what I wanna ask. I know during developing stage, I need to
> download image to debug with GDB.  But what do you mean by 'use redboot off
> the floppy'? If the floppy doesn't have Redboot, then how can I boot the PC?
> I know how to change the startup type from FLOPPY to RAM, but if Redboot
> isn't in the floppy, there should be something in the floppy to boot the
> target PC and then receive the debugging image send from GDB...

Take a step back here. What do you _want_ to do right now? Boot RedBoot off
a floppy, or boot an eCos application off a floppy? You've already said you
can boot RedBoot.

An eCos application can just do the same thing as RedBoot does to boot off
a floppy, *if* you set the startup type for eCos to "FLOPPY". After that
you link your application with eCos and have an ELF format executable. Then
you convert that executable to binary with something like:

i386-elf-objcopy -O binary myapp myapp.bin

and then copy to the floppy using "dd" as you did redboot.