what is ecos

Hello,

I am still learning the basics of ecos.  I hope to get
the big picture right.  Please do not laugh if I am
deadly wrong.

It seems to me that ecos is NOT meant to be a general
interactive operating system, like linux.  The
distinction between the "OS" and "application"
seems blurred.  I got the impression that we may
create a "hello world" program that does nothing but
printing "hello world" after power-on a system.  In
order to print, this "application" needs to contain
all the stuff needed for handling IO and initializing
the system.  ecos is nothing more than a library that
allows "applications" to do OS work.  One major
advantage is that the application contains OS supports
only when needed.

How to run X on ecos?  It doesn't seem trivial to me.
 Running an MPEG player on ecos looks like a big job.
Could you mount NFS?  run Netscape?  I guess ecos is
not meant to be a software layer for general
interactive systems.  While running Linux on a palm
pilot makes sense, running ecos does not.

Is this understanding right?  Am I missing the big
picture?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

=====
Robert Lee
Software Engineer