RE: Re: booting from ROM

On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 12:51, Ravi Kumar B S wrote:

> I dont think just rebuilding the tree and rebuilding the application will
> help atleast not incase of ARM e7t board. because the Boot Strap Loader (in
> e7t) will look for the module header with checksum and other stuff in the
> binaries which are there in the flash. I tried building a standalone
> application similar to the way redboot is built. but even that did not work.
> i still think i am missing some thing in the moduler header parameter or in
> the build process. i had posted my makefile and the module header to the list
> some time back. if any body could look into them and tell what i am missing,
> it would be of great help.

This is true.  Most platforms, making a ROM based application is as
simple as I've described.  (The original question was about the Assabet
and it definitely falls in this category).

There are some platforms where we have chosen to work with existing
ROM/FLASH mechanisms.  The ARM evaluation boards (AEB, E7T) fall in this
category.  In these cases, making a ROM application is more complicated
as wrappers may have to be created, etc.

Bottom line though; if we can build RedBoot which runs on startup for
a platform, then any other application can be ROM-ized as well.  The
best place to look for the appropriate "magic spells" would be in the
CDL build rules for RedBoot (or GDB stubs).