Re: Can't build redboot for sythetic linux target with floppy startup

Jack> Hi all, I am recently confused on building embedded system with
Jack> eCos since I am new to the field.

Jack> Firstly, I want to ask.

Jack> 1.  Is ROM startup mean I have to burn/load the eCos as the
Jack> firmware?

Correct.

Jack> 2.  Is RAM startup mean startup with floppy or something else
Jack> (etc, harddisk or flash)?

No, it means it has to be downloaded to RAM on the target using a
board monitor of sorts (usually RedBoot).

Jack> Secondly, I tried to build the redboot for synthetic linux
Jack> target. And I have the following questions

Jack> 1.  Is building redboot/eCos for synthetic linux means I can
Jack> execute the program exactly the same as the version running on
Jack> my linux box? (For an instance, I have a program called "abc"
Jack> running on my linux box, Red Hat linux 7.x)

Correct.

Jack> 2.  What's the difference between PC target and synthetic linux
Jack> target? I have searched for the answer from the discussion mail
Jack> list, but I still confused.

Linux target is a HAL layered on top of the Linux user land. The
target is virtual, in the sense that there is no "real" hardware.

The PC target is a real hardware target.

Jack> 3.  I have tried the following to build redboot for synthetic
Jack> linux target. I want to boot with floopy. But I can't do it.
Jack> Here are the steps.

1: You can probably not build RedBoot for Linux. At least there would
   be little point in doing that since RedBoot is primarily used for
   bootstrapping RAM startup applications - and these run natively on
   the linux target.

2: You can build a FLOPPY startup version of RedBoot for the PC
   target. Dump this to a floppy disk, insert it in a PC and
   reboot. You can now download RAM startup applications to the target
   via RedBoot.

Jesper