Re: The basics

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 05:23:06PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Tim Michals wrote:
> >
> > It is my understanding an image can be targeted to RAM or ROM.  In a
> > production system, a goal maybe to use RedBoot to configure the hardware
> > then load an production image into RAM from ROM?
>
> Absolutely. Or the production image could be built for ROM itself. But
> using RedBoot does allow you to do field update.

You can do field updates so long as you use redboot to do it. The
application cannot update its self if you have redboot in ROM. With
that situation there is a danger the application will jump into ROM
because of an incoming ethernet packet etc. This causes a read from
FLASH while its in write mode and a crash....

If you want the application to be able to update itself, you cannot
have Redboot running in ROM. RAM is OK.

      Andrew