Re: creating bootable image

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 08:37, Afzal, Naeem M wrote:

> Can we create a single bootup image using eCos, such that I dont have to
> bootup with Redboot. For example creating Linux image such that if I flash
> it at address 0x0, it should boot up.

In general, Linux is not set up to run this way.  The Linux kernel
normally assumes that some level of hardware initialization has taken
place before it starts to run.  Also, few Linux kernels support XIP
(execute in place) from ROM/FLASH.

Also, having RedBoot in place provides much richer control over the
startup process.  By using boot-time scripts, you can start your Linux
kernel, pass initialization options, etc.

Is there some particular platform you want to do this on?
Why is the current [boot-time scripting] in RedBoot not adequate?