Re: Porting for ecos - is GPL SW applicable?

Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First you must assume that relicensing of eCos kernel code under GPL is
> possible. For the sake of the discussion let's say it's possible. So your
> eCos kernel + FAT fs driver is all covered GPL

That's not possible I'm afraid - the RHEPL is not compatible with the GPL.

> So now the problem is your application. You must prove that your application
> is not a derivative work of the kernel. You could argue that the use of eCos
> kernel API is similar to the use of the Linux kernel API by a proprietary
> program, which is allowed by the GPL. Let's say again that we can assume
> that.

No unfortunately, that doesn't count either - it would (as you said)
require LGPL'd, not GPL'd code to make that the case. That's the difference
really.

The incompatibility with the GPL is something we're looking at resolving.