	From: Jonathan Larmour
	Sent: Wed 31/10/2001 4:55 PM
	To: Chris Sekula
	Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
	Subject: Re: [ECOS] Problems with Thread-start up delays

	Chris Sekula wrote:

	> The results of this test suggest to me that there is delay of
	> approximately 40 or 50 milliseconds associated with resuming a
thread.
	> However, this disagrees with what has been published in the
eCos
	> documentaion. Have I missed something in the interpretation of
my
	> results or the code itself? Can anyone offer an explanation
for what I
	> have observed?

	Easy :-). 50 milliseconds is..... the default between
timeslices! In your
	test case you gave the threads equal priority, but the newly
resumed thread
	won't run until it gets timesliced.

	Two things to make a more accurate test: you should set the test
thread to
	a higher priority, and make it read the high definition clock
using
	HAL_CLOCK_READ (although you have to watch out for wrapping) and
write that
	into a global variable (otherwise you have to worry about the
time taken to
	exit TestThread and reschedule MainProc).

	Have a look at the code in the kernel tm_basic test as that's
where the
	measurements in the documentation came from.

	Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44
(1223) 271062
	Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||
Opinions==mine