RE: Porting for ecos - is GPL SW applicable?

I says that's arguable.

For example you can use linux kernel (which is GPL and not LGPL) APIs - ie
syscalls - (with or without the Glibc) without making your whole app GPL.
Well then you can argue, that when you call cyg_create_thread or using a
normal OS API, and that it is the same kind of use.

I would certainly not says that this kind of argument would win a case in
court, but at least I think it's arguable.

I would also says that eCos is as incompatible with the GPL than windows is.
However you can still write GPLed drivers and applications for Windows (at
least I assume so). And then i still think that the only difference (for
that matter) between eCos and windows is that eCos doesn't allow you to
distribute binaries separately while windows allows that.

Fabrice