Problems allocating memory with C++ new operator on eCos 1.3.1

I have been having some problems allocating memory with the C++ new
operator. We are using the Cirrus Logic EP7312 chip and eCos 1.3.1. We
have used the patch provided by Cirrus Logic so that we can enable the
7212 template to work on the 7312. Our board has 16 Megs of RAM.

I launched a main thread with a stack size of 5000 bytes. In this
thread, when I try to allocate more than 16356 bytes, my program hangs.
The test program works with allocations less than this amount. I played
with a few different stack sizes as well, keeping the dynamic allocation
at 16356 bytes. The allocation doesn't work when a stack size of 7500
bytes(or more) or 2000 bytes (or less) is used.

Does eCos put a narrow limit on the size of the heap? How can I get
around this problem?

Thanks for any assistance,

CHRIS.