RE: Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...

No, it's still a problem. In fact, it turns out that even with that fix,
computers with no serial port will also halt instead of functioning. Thus
I can conclude that in general, redboot trying to use a serial port that
doesn't exist will halt the system. On x86 at least..