Re: Linux or ecos?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 01:37:02PM +0100, Roland Ca?ebohm wrote:
> I want to develop an application that should run on different target
> (i386, arm, mips).
> The application itself is very simple and only needs access to serial
> devices and to ethernet (with TCP/IP).
> First I thought about using Linux as OS, but it should be used as
> minimum RAM and FLASH as possible. The target hardware should have a
> maximum of 1 MB RAM and 0,5 MB FLASH, so I have to shrink Linux more
> then "make menuconfig" can do.

The TCP/IP stack can eat of lot of DRAM. How fast a network link do
you need. You can trade off speed for network buffer speed.

The ethernet device you use will also have a big affect. eg the i82559
uses 1Mbyte of RAM for its PCI window. I don't expect you will use
this device because its expensive and requires a PCI bridge etc. A
simpler, slower device with polled IO will require less memory, but
perform much slower.

If you application is really simple, you could think about building it
into redboot itself. That has its own really simple IP stack and basic
drivers for the serial ports.

        Andrew