Re: DHCP w/ Win2K server?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 02:39:28PM -0800, Dan Conti wrote:

> I think we saw this at one point. IIRC (it's been a while), the
> eCos DHCP client assumes a gateway will be returned, and with
> linux dhcp servers one is returned by default, but on win2k it
> isn't. I believe it says in the spec that you actually are
> supposed to request a gateway server ip if you want one, making
> this an eCos bug?
>
> In net/tcpip/current/src/lib/dhcp_prot.c, around line 596 (in case
> DHCPSTATE_REQUESTING), try adding the following line:
>
>     set_fixed_tag( xmit, TAG_DHCP_PARM_REQ_LIST, TAG_GATEWAY, 1 );

Yup, That did it.

I was about to dig out my RFC and look that one up.

This fix definitely needs to go into the CVS source tree.

Leave it to MS to figure out a way to screw with everybody by
strictly following an RFC for once.  :)

> I dont know if there is a way to adjust the win2k dhcp server
> configuration to automagically give this out though.

Probably not.  Providing a way to make Win2K servers backward
compatible with WinNT servers might discourage people from
upgrading all the clients.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com