RE: Re: eCos on Evaluator-7T

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 12:09, Sheri2000S@netscape.net wrote:
> There is probably some misunderstanding on my part as regards to ecos and redboot.
>
> so (as I understand)
>
> The Redboot.UU has to be put in the Flash ,this is the boot monitor.
>
> Now
>
> How do I build an application with multiple tasks (utilising the os features like semaphores,delays,mailboxes etc) and run it on the target board i.e Evaluator-7T and debug it.
>
> This is probably a very basic question but I am really stuck and would really appriciate help

You already have the answer :-)

Your first configuration quoted below (ecosconfig new e7t redboot) is
used to create RedBoot.  This is based on the 'redboot' template which
you used.  This configuration is only useful for making a RedBoot image,
since it contains a very minimal HAL and other RedBoot packages.  Make
no mistake though - there will be an eCos kernel [library] generated, it
just won't have any "kernel" stuff in it, i.e. no threads, scheduler,
etc.

The second configuration (ecosconfig new e7t) generates an eCos kernel
using the "default" template which does include a complete
multi-threading environment.  This is the kernel you should be using (or
a similar one, based on your actual requirements) for any eCos program
other than RedBoot itself.

Once you configure and build a generic eCos kernel plus your
application, you use RedBoot to download that program to the target
board and run it.