More Wallclock questions

I've gottem my wallclock driver working, but I'm confused about
soemthing.

The "eCos" time (cyg_current_time()) now seems to be completely
decoupled from wall-clock time (time()).  Everytime time() is
called, the HW clock is read.

What I had expected was that eCos would set it's system time
based on the HW clock at startup, and from then on, the eCos
system time would be used for everything: time() and
cyg_current_time() would be referencing the same time-base.

Since the two times are no longer linked, how does one do
things like set an alarm event for a particular wallclock time?
I suppose one could create a timer and set its value to the
current value of the HW clock, and then set an alarm.  But
since the system time isn't linked to the wallclock time,
they're going to drift apart so that the time() value when the
event happens may not be what was expected.  Right?  IIUC,This
didn't used to happen before I enabled the HW RTC driver.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com