RE: eCos debugging using GDB over Ethernet

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 15:35, Geoff Patch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I posted a request to the list a few days ago asking for ideas about
> improving our LAN gdb debugging reliability.
>
> Andrew Lunn suggested I incorporate the following changes:
>
> > 2001-08-14  Gary Thomas  <gthomas@redhat.com>
> >
> >         * src/stand_alone/eth_drv.c (eth_drv_write):
> >         (eth_drv_tx_done):
> >         (eth_drv_read): Better handling of stacking (layering) of
> drivers.
> >         RedBoot (stand alone code) is designed to call into the eCos
> >         stack and these changes make sure that this is done properly
> >         nested/stacked.  These changes also affect the behaviour
> positively
> >         for CR 902745-CR.
> >
> >         * src/net/eth_drv.c (eth_drv_send): Add locking of driver while
> >         actual hardware routines are involved.  Since the same driver
> >         can be shared by both eCos and RedBoot, it is imperative that
> >         additional locking (in the form of locking the scheduler) be
> >         employed during this window to make sure that the hardware is
> >         handled in complete, consistent steps.  This helps with known
> >         bug CR 902745-CR.
>
> I've done this, and it appears to have improved the situation. We haven't
> tested it thoroughly, so there may still be problems, but we're definitely
> a lot better off than we were.  If anybody else is having similar problems
> I'd recommend applying these changes.

These changes (and a number of others in the hal/common and io/eth
directories) are already in anonCVS.  It was on the top of Andrew's mind
since he is working on this problem from a static [released] source tree
that we've provided to his company.

> Thanks Andrew!  If you ever make it down to Australia, drop by and I'll buy
> you a beer. :-)

Hey, what about me?  I did all the _real_ work :-)