RE: no response from ping

Actually, I'm not sure that I've seen a ping returned at all.  I think
they've all been arp replies.  I just tested it just now, and they were
all arp replies.

I have another problem as well.  The responses are an extremely long
time later.  The pings don't even reach the target a lot of the time
because the ARPs get in the way.  It's almost as if shutting off
interrupts prevents the pings from getting through because the wavelan
card is too slow.