Re: Has anyone used an emulator or ICE with eCos and the EP7211?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 08:31:53AM +0100, Jesper Skov wrote:

> > I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with using an ICE
> > with the EP7211 and eCOS.  Specifically, what is the Jeeni
> > like? Is there anything better out there?  How hard was it to
> > hook up to the target environment?  Was full source debugging
> > of eCOS possible?
>
> I've used a Jeeni with GDB and a SNDS100 board. Lovely stuff.
> Pretty much plug'n'play, but you have to realize that thread
> debugging becomes impossible when using a hardware debugger
> (unless there's special provisions for it - which I don't think
> there is for the Jeeni).

There isn't.

> > Does anyone know if this is a lot easier than GDB?
>
> Uh? As far as I know, the only debugger you can use with eCos
> is GDB (maybe there are commercial debuggers that support ELF
> and DWARF, I don't know).

I've talked to a couple vendors who claimed their debuggers
would work with Jeeni and GCC ELF files (Microtec's X-Ray was
one, I don't remember who the other one was), but haven't tried
them.

> If you want "easier" maybe you should try Insight (which is
> a GUI layer over GDB).

There's also DDD (a different GUI which runs on top of vanilla
gdb).

With either one, I find it simplest to use the GDB console and
a couple macros to configure the system and load files.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com