Re: eCos package trimming.....

Nilesh Tarale wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to trim the ecos packages so that the
> libtarget.a file size should reduced.
> i had remmoved the math library through the ecosadmin
> tool by following
> command...
>      thcsh ecosadmin.tcl remove libm
>
> We are writing our own networking package with our own
> requirment whose size may be around 1Mb..

You don't need to do that! Just edit your configuration to remove libm from
the config. e.g.:

ecosconfig remove libm

You don't actually have to remove the *sources*.

> Now i wanted to trim the LIBC package. I had deleted
> some of the source files from LIBC and removed the
> entries from the .cdl file for deleted source files..
> The original size of the libtarget.a file of
> eCos-1.3.1 without networking package was 2.9Mb..
> Which i had reduced to 1.9Mb.

That includes debug info and relocation info. It's not a true reflection of
the size. Better would be to link your application and use the appropriate
"size" program, e.g.

 $ arm-elf-size myapp

Adding the text and data fields give you the size of what would need to be
programmed into a ROM. Adding the data and bss fields give what the RAM
requirements are.

> But is there any standerd tool to trim (reduce the
> size of package) the package?

Yes! The eCos configuration tool! It's all described in the documentation.