Serial interface for i386

Sir,
I am thankful for your suggetion.
I need assistance at the following stage.

1.I am working on i386(target) booted via RedBoot.
2.Linux is on the host.
3. connected via serial and using Gdb

I want to write an interface so as to make my application send data through serial.For that how do i get the handle of ttyS1.

when i try cyg_io_lookup("/dev/ttyS1",   ) and do debug in the search loop i get the values for device names as
   1)dev/ttydiag and
 2)dev/haldiag

hence the lookup fails and i am not able to get the handle.
Is my approach ok?

Am i suppose to give some other name inatead of  /dev/ttyS1 ?

Thanks
Satish