RE: confused about running program on remote target

Thanks to Erik and Jiri for clarifying a number
of things that are sure to help eCos i386
beginners like myself. I've had a number of abortive
attempts with similar problems.

Erik, one thing that I was confused about - this
may also apply to others so I've sent this mail to
eCos-discuss ...can you clarify what
the "The new config tool 1.3.net from ecos." is.
Is this precompiled or source?
Where do I find this?

Thanks

Pete

Erik,

thank you very much for your help. I got everything working as well. Here is
a summary for those who are having problems running on the i386 target:

Get the latest sources. The precompiled redboot.bin available from Red Hat
will not work with recent eCos, and so you will have to build redboot as
well. After creating the configuration file for redboot (ecosconfig new pc
redboot), you will have to import ecosconfig import redboot_FLOPPY.ecm
(ecosconfig import
$ECOS_REPOSITORY/hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_FLOPPY.ecm). My mistake
was to follow
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/rebuilding-redboot.html
and configuring redboot for booting from ROM. This is accurate for other
platforms, but it doesn't for for booting from floppy on a PC. I am sure
that the directions for building for floppy booting are somewhere in the
documentation; I didn't find them. After that, everything should work as
described in the getting started document.

Once again, thanks

Jiri