RE: [iPAQ] Restore CE (or bootldr) from Redboot?

Noel,

The problem is that in this step redboot is overwritten and that you
cannot test the WinCE installation until after redboot is overwritten.

> > If you're running a recent ROM RedBoot (with Parrot loader intact):
> >   RedBoot> load -r -b 0x100000 flash_00000000.bin
> >   RedBoot> fis write -f 0x50040000 -b 0x140000 -l 0x003c0000
> > If you're running an original ROM RedBoot (with no Parrot loader):
> >   RedBoot> load -r -b 0x100000 flash_00000000.bin
> >   RedBoot> fis write -f 0x50000000 -b 0x100000 -l 0x00400000

If the installation was not successful, and it is often unsuccessful the
first time, you will be left with only the parrot firmware to restore
the image.  If you have a PCMCIA or CF sleeve, then there are other
instructions for restoring WinCE, but that is also quite error prone.
My experience is that this path often leads to bricks arriving in my
office for reflashing.

However, if first you replace parrot with bootldr, then you can restore
the entire WinCE image and test it while maintaining bootldr in flash,
yielding the opportunity to load it multiple times or to find a working
image if the saved image was corrupted by xmodem or whatever.

In addition, bootldr-2.18.01 enables you to load a gzipped image in one
shot, which increases the speed and decreases the chance of error.

Jamey