Re: memory alloc question

Tom Coremans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I`m wondering what the maximum size is that I can allocate to a memory
> pool in ECOS.

I don't think there's any strict limit.

> I`m planning to use a memory pool as the heap for a virtual  machine so
> it should be as big as possible when I allocate it.
>
> What is the best aproach?? Using malloc to obtain a pointer to a free
> block that I use to construct the pool or declaring a global varible of
> x bytes that I use as the base adres for the pool?

It depends what you are trying to achieve. Using a global variable means
you don't have to pull in any malloc code, but means the allocated variable
is always there. Maybe that's not a problem.

Obviously you could just use malloc if you wanted, so I assume there's some
reason such as determinism/speed you don't want to.

> In the ecos configtool you can enter the size of the fallback dynamic
> memory pool..
> Does it have anything to do with this?

That's a fallback for the very small number of targets that don't export
"heap" information, so the generic memory allocator code doesn't know how
much memory the target has.