To use the PC target screen/keyboard

With i386 target I took the default ecc file and changed the
following macros in the 1.3.net configuration tool:

CYGSEM_HAL_I386_PC_DIAG_SCREEN                                             True
CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_INHERIT_CONSOLE                      False
CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_COMM_CHANNELS                      3
CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL                    2
CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL_DEFAULT    2
CYGDBG_HAL_DIAG_TO_DEBUG_CHAN                                             False

You can search for these using the Find button on the Toolbar.

Then I did:

   Build | Clean
   Build | Library

Then I remade my application to link with updated
kernel configuration.

So now for example, printf() goes to PC screen,
scanf() comes from PC keyboard.

Thanks to Jonathan Larmour for his help

Pete