question re CYGSEM_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_PASS_PACKETS

Hello,

I'm still struggling trying to figure out why my
x86 pc with 82559 ethernet chip networks fine under
redboot, but not at all under ecos.

I'm carefully comparing the ecos.ecc file for redboot
and for ecos (not redboot), paying particular attention
to networking topics.

One difference I notice is for the option
CYGSEM_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_PASS_PACKETS, e.g. this
from my redboot ecos.ecc:

  # >
  # Pass packets to an alternate stack
  # Define this to allow packets seen by this layer to be
  # passed on to the previous logical layer, i.e. when
  # stand-alone processing replaces system (eCos) processing.
  #
  cdl_option CYGSEM_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_PASS_PACKETS {
      # Flavor: bool
      # No user value, uncomment the following line to provide
  one.
      # user_value 1
      # value_source default
      # Default value:  0 != CYGPKG_REDBOOT_NETWORKING
      #     CYGPKG_REDBOOT_NETWORKING == 1
      #   --> 1
  };

for my ecos (not redboot) ecos.ecc, since CYGPKG_REDBOOT_NETWORKING
is turned off, then the CYGSEM_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_PASS_PACKETS
user value is 0.

Can someone explain to me what "stand-alone processing"
means in this context? And why does redboot use an alternate
TCP/IP stack? Don't they both use the same stack based on
OpenBSD?

Many Thanks,
Michael Shiloh