Re: tm_basic (memory) problem

Andrea Acquaviva wrote:

> Hi all,
> I run into problems while running tm_basic tests. The tests hangs as
> soon as it reaches the assignment of nsamples in tm_basic_main. The
> other tests don't have problems. I found that the dimension of the
> executable is quite strange:
>
>     text       data     bss                      dec
> hex     filename
>   26924    5124 23368684        23400732        165111c
> install/tests/kernel/current/tests/tm_basic
>
> I have 64MB of sdram installed on my board, so I don't think that this
> should be a problem. However, the strange thing is that the dimension is
> so great even if I comment all the code starting from:
> new_thread(run_all_tests, 0).
>
> Summarizing, what I observed is that if I do a reference to a static
> defined variable like nsamples or nmutexes the size of the executable
> increases a lot and the program hangs.

tm_basic has some funky stuff in it that chooses the sizes on the basis of
the available memory. Perhaps given the amount of memory it chooses
something that is too much for the CPU to deal with, so it slows right
down?

Certainly, look at tweaking the values it uses by default (look for the
reference to CYGMEM_REGION_ram_SIZE).