Re: how to see program output when using GDB?

    Bill> I've ported ecos-1.3.1 to a box that only has a single
    Bill> serial port. I've gotten to the point where I can use gdb on
    Bill> a host to download the dhrystone test case onto the board.
    Bill> The test case sends it's results (it PASSED :-) ) up the
    Bill> serial port (confirmed via 'set debug serial 1'), but gdb
    Bill> eats them without displaying them :-(. A quick scan of the
    Bill> gdb source didn't show any obvious flags to make this work.
    Bill> Does anyone have any suggestions?

It rather depends on what firmware you are using, and hence what
protocol is being used between gdb and the target-side hardware. eCos
1.3.1 is very old and predates RedBoot, which is the firmware we
usually recommend these days.

One possibility is that the text is just being sent out of the serial
line in raw format. However the gdb remote protocol (or possibly some
other protocol) is running over this line, so gdb will see data which
does not match any valid packets and silently discard it. Instead the
text needs to be encapsulated appropriately, which for the gdb
protocol would mean O packets.

Hopefully this will be enough to let you make progress - it is hard to
be more precise without information about the hardware setup.

Bart