From: ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com]On Behalf Of Gary Thomas
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 8:53 AM
To: Roland Caßebohm
Cc: Douglas Bush; eCos Discussion
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Network speed very slow with redboot

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 01:58, Roland Caßebohm wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5. March 2002 17:19, Douglas Bush wrote:
> > I have the same performance issue with the EP7211.  My download rate is
> > 38kbit/s over a 10M Ethernet.  My download rate with the May 2001
> > redboot image for the EDB7xxx was generally over 380kbit/s.
> >

> Hi,
>
> the only think i have found is, that the cache wasn't enabled. But enable
the
> cache doesn't change much. The download rate is now 200 kbit/s. Is this
> normal?

Those are the sort of rates that we see on many boards.  There are a number
of factors which influence the speed here.  Most RedBoot ports run from
FLASH
which is often slow.  Also, the network stack used by RedBoot was designed
be as simple and small as possible, not necessarily as fast as possible.
Also,
GDB sends relatively small packets while downloading.  This adds a lot of
overhead.

> Douglas,
> you sad you have the same problem sins may 2001. I had tried to find
> something that was changed in this time at the cvs tree. By now I haven't.
:-(

AFAIK there have not been any significant changes in this area in the last
year,
only minor tweaks and various ports.