Re: Cannot communicate with RedBoot on Viper board

Hi All,

Thanks to Erik for pointing out that I needed a null serial cable to
connect to the Viper and not a pass-through like I was using.  I am now
able to run RedBoot and download and debug the sample eCos applications
using Insight.

I am now having some problems with the Ethernet interface in RedBoot.

Since I don't have a DHCP/BOOTP server, I changed the bootp nickname in
RedBoot from true to false, saved to flash configuration and reset the
board, then set the bootp_my_ip nickname to the IP address I selected
for the Viper.  Then I
saved and reset the board again.  I also set the MAC address in the
fec_esa nickname to 0x00:0x44:0x44:0x44:0x44:0x44.

I have the Viper connected to a hub.  I tried to ping it from a PC I
have connected to the same hub with no response.  Of course, since ping
doesn't work, I can't telnet into the Viper either.

I also tried to ping the PC from the Viper (using the ping -v -n 1 -h
<pc's ip address> command).  In this case, sometimes I get a response
and sometimes I don't.  When I don't get a response, RedBoot locks up (I
can't get the command line back).  It seems like the probability of
getting a response is about 50%.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks again for the help.

Paul Randall