Re: Ethernet arp/problem

>hi erik,
>
>i had some similar problems and may be able
>to help you. can you please provide some more information:

Thanks for the reply I've got some further characterization of the problem,
but first let me answer your questions.

>host?

PC running cygwin

>target?

MPC860T A&M Viper board

>ecos revision?

The config tool is 1.3.net and the sources are latest from CVS.

>are you using redboot?
Yes.

>if so, is the network involved in redboot?
I am running the debugger over the serial port for Redboot.  I haven't been
able to get TCP debugging to work properly.  Redboot is setup for a fixed IP
address that is different from the one that is being DHCP'd in the ping
test.

>if so, how is redboot getting IP address?
It is fixed, but I'm not using it for debug.  Maybe I should build a redboot
with no ethernet support?

my network is of the 192.168.0.XXX type.  Netmask looks right.  After ecos
successfully DHCP's its IP is 192.168.0.5.  I see a bunch of arp-who-has
192.168.0.5 tell 192.168.0.5's with no response.  Its like the Viper board
is not properly updating its ARP cache or is not receiving ARP broadcasts or
something.

After this when it tries to ping I see a bunch of arp requests for the
destination and a bunch of replies with the proper MAC for the destination
but no ICP traffic whatsoever.  Weird.

I turned off optimization on the kernel and switched from static to DHCP
before this problem surfaced.  I'm going to try to switch back and see if
this helps.

Any thoughts you might have would be helpful at this point.

Thanks.

-Erik Reikes