From: Douglas Bush [mailto:dbush@extremeeng.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 10:21 AM
To: eCos Discussion List
Subject: [ECOS] Remapping eCos Memory

Folks,

I'm bringing up our final development board (EDB7211 based), and I'm
trying to figure out how to use a different memory map for eCos.

In particular I don't really know a good technique for doing this in
eCos, and the Configuration Tool (2.08) has no memory configuration
capabilities.

Our target is based on the EDB7211 development board.  There's no SDRAM
(and in its place, significantly less SRAM), half the Flash memory.

Our physical memory map looks as follows; (in bytes)
     External SRAM : ORIGIN = 0x10000000, LENGTH = 0x100000
     Flash :         ORIGIN = 0xe0000000, LENGTH = 0x400000
     Internal SRAM : ORIGIN = 0x60000000, LENGTH = 0x9c00

Original mlt_arm_edb7211_rom.ldi;
     ram :  ORIGIN = 0x00000000, LENGTH = 0xfd7000
     sram : ORIGIN = 0x60000000, LENGTH = 0x9c00
     rom :  ORIGIN = 0xe0000000, LENGTH = 0x800000

I'm assuming that the ldi file refers to the virtual memory maps?

In reading various posts I see some folks change the pkgconf\mlt*.h, or
ldi, or mlt files.  While other folks seem to think that changing the
virtual map is the way to go.  Which would be appropriate here?  Should
I change both?

I need to make this work with an ICE as well, so for me, life would be a
lot easier if the virtual memory map matched the physical memory map.
(So it was a little disconcerting to notice that the flash drivers were
hard coded.  Is anything else?)

Finally, how to I find out how much RAM allocated dynamically by eCos?
How much is needed in addition to the MBufs for, say, the ping test?

Douglas Bush
Extreme Engineering
#17, 6025 - 12 St. SE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada