Re: Disabling GDB/Redboot completely

>On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 19:31, Erik Reikes wrote:
> > What settings are required for completely disabling redboot control of
>the
> > serial port?
>
>The ecos application config should have the
>CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CLAIM_COMMS option set.

Thanks that is very helpful to know about.  Makes sense now that you mention
it.  I had seen that option but in the haze of hurrying before a trade show
deadline I'm not sure if I tried it.

> > I am trying to download an app over the serial port which then uses the
> > serial port, but I keep seeing GDB-ish output on the port which
>interferes
> > with my application.
>
>If you download using the RedBoot command 'load' and see GDB-ish output,
>the platform RedBoot/diag code is broken. That should not happen. Of
>course, you don't say what the platform is, so it's just a guess.

Sorry, the platform is the A&M Viper board (MPC860T PowerPC).

> > Attempts to run the debugger over other channels have failed, so I would
> > like to go with no debugger for now.
>
>Again, that should work just fine. Broken platform.

I was seeing spurious packet output over the ethernet.  I think there is a
fundamental problem with the FEC ethernet driver.  Seems like transmit
interrupts are not happening properly.  I also had trouble with the CPM
interrupt arbiter, but I have a feeling that was more a problem of me not
understanding the eCos->Arbiter->ISR process.

I would be attempting to debug these issues right now, but my one and only
target is at a trade show.  In the end I used the debugger over the SMC
serial port and I hacked a really hokey SCC serial port driver using polling
instead of interrupts (as I couldn't for the life of me get the arbiter to
kick off on the receive interrupt) for the data link.  I limited the data
link to 9600 because of the polling.  Close enough for a trade show as they
say...

On my list of things to do is to clean up the SCC driver and figure out how
to include it in eCos.  I figure adding SCC serial port support is the least
I can do for all you guys helpful advice.

Thanks.

-Erik Reikes