Re: Some beginner's question

HuangQiang wrote:

> Hi all:
>    could anyone explain some of the following concept? Thanks  a lot!
>
> Q1: What is RAM startup and ROM startup? What is different between those
> two?

RAM startup means the program loads into RAM and starts from there. ROM
startup means the program loads into ROM (or is programmed) and starts from
there. There is also ROMRAM startup where the program is programmed into
ROM, copies itself into RAM and runs from RAM.

> Q2: What is ROM monitor? Is there anything to do with RedBoot? or eCOS GDB
> stub?

RedBoot is a ROM monitor. It runs from ROM and allows you to monitor your
program (e.g. by using its own inbuilt GDB stub). I'm sure a Google search
would help you find good definitions. The GDB stub is sort of a monitor,
but people normally reserve the term for something with more features like
RedBoot.

> Is there any RAM monitor then?

You can build a RAM version of RedBoot, but that's only used rarely
(normally just for reprogramming the ROM version since you can't reprogram
it while you're running from ROM).

Note that anywhere I mention ROM it could actually be Flash or an EEPROM
etc.etc.