device driver interface

Hi all,

what would be the recommended way of coding a device driver that does
not fit the rather rudimentary and rigid read/write/set_config/get_config
model
as described by the documentation? If, for example, I wanted asynchronous
notifications upon certain driver-detected events, such as data arriving, is
there a standard way of coding this, or do I have to use sychronization
primitives directly, extending the I/O API in a nonstandard way? Is there
something similar to an ioctl API, allowing for more generalized I/O
operations
that require additional parameters beyond just a buffer and a byte count?
Can I attach context information to I/O requests that can be retrieved
after the operation is finished?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thomas
Thomas Koeller, Software Development