Driver questions

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a new device driver, and am using the serial driver
as a template. I've read through the source files for serial, and have a
few questions:

1. The device filesystem (devfs.cxx) seems to throw away ioctl calls.
   Why was it decided to do this?  dev_fo_setinfo seems to provide a
   similar capability, but isn't standard.  Should dev_fo_ioctl be modified
   to point to dev_fo_setinfo?

2. dev_fo_close is similarly thrown away, rather than vectored through a
   DEVIO function. Should this be changed? For my device, I'd like to
   return an error if the user tries to open it multiple times. I was
   thinking of using close to record a state var indicating that the
   first user had successfully relinquished the driver.

3. dev_fo_open - Looks like the mode variable isn't passed down to the
   device "lookup" function. My device needs to know if "O_RDONLY" or
   "O_WRONLY" is being requested...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

/Jim