Re: Static IP for redboot on pc not working

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 00:43, Jagbir Singh wrote:
> Hello.
> I am attempting to build a redboot floppy for the pc class machines to get
> acquainted with the redboot feature set.
>
> I have checked out the latest CVS tree.
>
> I wish to transfer a pre compiled ecos kernel image onto a host  pc, remotely.
>
> I did not find any details of specifying a static IP initially but on browsing
> through the archives, I came up with mention of the
> CYGDAT_REDBOOT_DEFAULT_IP_ADDR
> directive and added it to my ecos.ecc with an appropriate IP. (This was n
>
> I assumed that redboot would now use this IP by default and not bother to
> issue a DHCP request.
> However, it IS doing a DHCP request , failing and then is unpingable remotely.
> Also I cannot ping any other host on the LAN using the up-an-running redboot.
>
> What am I missing ?

Read the documentation (the CDL :-) for this option.  It clearly states
that the static IP address is *only* used if there is no response from
a BOOTP server.  If you want to only use the static IP address (and not
try BOOTP), just turn BOOTP off by setting CYGSEM_REDBOOT_DEFAULT_NO_BOOTP.