Re: checking in.

"Peter Petrakis" <voodoo@alphadriven.org> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Curious, Has anyone seen how eCos fairs on a 64 bit arch? Are there any caveats
> I should know about concerning a 64 bit port if it isnt already clean? Thanks.

In theory eCos is designed to be portable to 64 bit machines, you just
need to supply a suitable set of definitions in the basetype.h
file. In practice we have never needed to do this - any 64 bit
platforms we currently support (mostly MIPS) are run in 32 bit mode.

The main areas where the 32 vs. 64 bit dichotomy will bite is in
device drivers where the wrong size memory accesses may get made.

By all means give it a go, but be ready to have to hunt down obscure
bugs.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK