Re: RedBoot without serial

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 12:55, Jeremy Craner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This may be a simple question, but I haven't been able to figure it out for
> a few days now. Is it possible to run RedBoot without a serial port?
>
> I have one board with both serial and ethernet. RedBoot runs fine, and I can
> Telnet to it at port 9000. I have another board with no serial port--just
> ethernet. My build of RedBoot for this board gets up to the part where it
> does the command line prompt, but I can't ping the board or connect via
> Telnet. I am defining the virtual vector and GDB stub defines the same as
> with the first board, except that I am setting
> CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_COMM_CHANNELS to 0 instead of 1. I have also tried
> simply running the RedBoot code for the first board on the second, but it
> still doesn't ping.
>
> The whole virtual vector setup is confusing because it seems to only apply
> to serial ports. Maybe I am just misreading it. Please enlighten me.

We've definitely done this (a number of times).  I'm pretty sure that the
platforms involved had a serial port which was either present or not.  The
drivers were left in and the bits just drop on the floor :-)

If this is something you could do, it would probably be best.  Alternatively,
you could have a dummy serial driver for your platform which does not have
a real serial port.  Having CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_COMM_CHANNELS might
actually be confusing things, so having a dummy port might do the trick.