Re: Hardware templates and devices.

John Anderson wrote:

> I'm using the windows configuration tool to create an eCos build for our
> board.  The board is similar to an at91/EB40 but not identical.  I guess I'm
> a little (what an understatement) confused about the modular nature of the
> configuration process.  If I start with the at91 as a template, then when I
> want to add a package like the CS8900 ethernet chip it tells me I need to
> define a new template.  However if I define a new template and want to use
> the at91/EB40 serial device then it requires the CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91 macro
> to be defined.  But it won't be defined unless the at91 template is
> selected.  But my template defines CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_CTA (CTA = CoreTec Arm).
> If my target is close to an at91, then should I use the CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_AT91
> definition for my template as well or will this just confuse the
> configuration tool (I'm guessing the later).

eCos doesn't have the ability to just create new hardware support as such.
A tool to do this has been planned from the outset, but no-one has been
prepared to fund implementing it.

So to add something like this you should start playing with the eCos source
code. In this instance ecos.db. There you can define your own target based
on the existing at91 target, and add the drivers you want. Have a look at
the CDL reference manual for more info about this type of thing. Note that
you will also need to write a small package that "ports" a generic driver
like the CS8900 to your hardware, i.e. filling in base addresses etc.