Problem while down loading image on i386 Target

Hi all
       I have connected successfully  to target mechine which is
booted in Redboot,  using i386-elf-gdb through ethernet.
       when i issued the "load" command,  it seems that after some
point of time  the Target is getting hanged.
       I repeated this a number of times and all trials gave me
the same result.

       I tired it over serial connection..at that time the Target
mechines console  displayed some characters
       in multiple collors and it get's hanged.

       In both the above mentioned cases...at the host side
connection is getting time out.

       I rebooted the target.I'm not getting the expected
output.
       The application i compailed is the helo.c  given along with
eCos repository.
       It should display "Hello eCos World" on the console.

       Where's I am now? Am I successfull in down loading the
image to target?Why the Target is getting hanged?

       The file i tried to transfer to the target is a.out .

      One more doubt..  Which is the executable format for i386
Target?  .out .exe  or .SREC ?

       Some body please help me

         Thanks in advance
            Regards