IS eCos fake and GDB vaporware ?

Hi,
I generated a floppy with RedBoot, booted an old Pentium 100 and RedBoot
showed it's welcome splash :o/

> RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [FLOPPY]
> Non-certified release, version UNKNOWN - built 19:45:23, Apr 16 2002

After, running the eCos Config Tool and building everything I run the
tests (Ctrl-F5) and the tool cannot "teach gdb old tricks" like the
filename of the test program to debug (!)...

> //D/ECOS/TRY/TRY_IN~1/TESTS/HAL/COMMON/CURRENT/TESTS/BASIC.EXE: No such host or network path.
> (gdb) set height 0

My last resource is to run gdb from inside the Cygwin tools (yes, I'm
using a Window box).
Running BASH and starting i386-elf-gdb I get the mythical Insight tool
running. It pops up, connects to the target, download the program, show
memory, registers, everything - like if it were working.

But when I make the target run ... nobody else answers. Only the reset
key may open up their ears.

Is the floppy RedBood a fake stub ?
Is gdb cheating (cozening) everybody for eons ?

Last question:
- does anybody "really" succeeded doing the above steps in any moment in
history ?
Please be honest !

Jose Luiz