Some questions on eCos 2.0

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick response on my last post.

Today, I downloaded the Configuration Tool Version 2.08.  I think this
is the most recent Configuration Tool, although the date in the
changes.txt file is 10/25/01.  I also did a CVS update before trying to
build eCos.  The eCos library built without any errors and I didn't see
any warnings, either.  When I tried to build the tests, however, I get
the following error:

powerpc-eabi-gcc -c
-I/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_install/include
-I/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/io/fileio/current
-I/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/io/fileio/current/src
-I/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/io/fileio/current/tests -I.
-I/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/io/fileio/current/tests/
-msoft-float -mcpu=860 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes
-Winline -Wundef -Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2 -ffunction-sections
-fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc -finit-priority
-Wp,-MD,tests/socket.tmp -o tests/socket.o
/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/io/fileio/current/tests/socket.c

powerpc-eabi-gcc -msoft-float -mcpu=860 -g -nostdlib -Wl,--gc-sections
-Wl,-static -L/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_install/lib
-Ttarget.ld -o
/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_install/tests/io/fileio/current/tests/socket
tests/socket.o
/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_install/lib/libtarget.a(net_common_bootp_support.o):
In function `init_net':
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_build/io/fileio/current'
/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/net/common/current/src/bootp_support.c:508:
undefined reference to `setdomainname'
make: Leaving directory `/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_build'
/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/packages/net/common/current/src/bootp_support.c:512:
undefined reference to `cyg_dns_res_init'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: ***
[/ecos-c/cygwin/src/ecos2a/ecos/vipernet_install/tests/io/fileio/current/tests/socket]
Error 1
make: *** [tests] Error 2

I am also confused about the FreeBSD and OpenBSD networking stacks in
eCos 2.0.  When I select the 'net' template, the OpenBSD package appears
inside the 'Basic networking support' package.  When I select the
'new_net' template, the FreeBSD package appears inside the 'Basic
networking support' package.  Some of the options in the Basic
Networking Framework are the same as some options in the Free/OpenBSD
package.  For example, if I have INET support seleted in both places,
will this cause problems or do I have to deselect one of these?  Also,
there is the option to build network tests in both places.  Will this
build two sets of network tests or build the same set twice?

I noticed that the eCos 2.0 repository has a directory of RedBoot
images.  Can I use these to update my viper without rebuilding RedBoot
myself?  I'm a little nervous about updating the flash on my viper
because I have no method of recovering if things go wrong.  It would
give me some confidence if I flashed the viper with a RedBoot
configuration that had been tested already.  Also, are the RedBoot
images up to date?

Thanks for the assistance.

Paul Randall
Delta Information Systems