AT91EB40 and RedBoot

The short question:

I can establish a communication link to my Atmel AT91EB40 evaluation board
with gdb (Insight). However, after I download the redboot_RAM.elf, I'm
unable to obtain a redboot prompt with minicom. The question is, well, why
not? Specifically (see below), how does one "interrupt 'Angel' with a
^Z" after the RedBoot binary has been downloaded?

---
Details:

I've grabbed the latest versions of the GNU tool chain:

$ arm-elf-gdb --version
GNU gdb 5.2
$ arm-elf-gcc --version
arm-elf-gcc (GCC) 3.1

I've built gdb with the Insight gui.

I grabbed the latest eb40 redboot monitor from:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/boards/redbootbins/at91eb40/

I followed the RedBoot EB40 install instructions desicribed here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/at91.html

I've also scoured the archives and sympathize with Lin Ming...

The part that I believe tripping me is this statement in the install
instructions:

"Once this is started, the Angel session must be interrupted (on Linux
this can be done using ^Z)."

How does one issue a "^Z" (control Z) to interrupt Angel? Is this done
from with in gdb? Is it done from with the minicom session?

Any help is of course deeply appreciated.

Scott