ethernet driver for linux synthetic target?

The last mention of a pseudo-ethernet driver for the linux synthetic
target was back in January, 2002.  I want to "play" around with the
network stack(s) in v2 in the synthetic target and could use some type
of pseudo ethernet driver.  Is there one that is available or will soon
be available?  I'm trying to avoid writing one from scratch if I can -
the 200 page CDL Guide is a bit daunting for this eCos newcomer.  If
none is available, perhaps someone could suggest a fairly generic
network driver that I could use as the base for a pseudo-ethernet
driver.

Cheers.