Question about ARM memmap for new port

I'm thinking about porting eCos to a custom board built around
an very simple ARM processor. Specifically, it has no MMU and
no D/I caches.

Most of the HALs that I've seen for ARM assume that the ROM is
at physical address 0x0 and RAM is higher up. When the ROM starts,
it "flips" the address space around, most likely with an MMU. I.e.,
RAM gets mapped to 0x0 and ROM goes up high.

My question is this...  Is this strictly necessary?  If not,
what do the "mlt_arm_foo_rom/ram.mlt" files look like?  I studied
most of the files in the eCos 2.0 tree, and i think the IQ80310
might be a candidate to use as a template?

Where can I find documentation on the ".ldi" file syntax? I'm not
sure I understand the contents. For example what d "AT(...)" or
"FOLLOWING(...)" or "LMA_EQ_VMA" mean?

Finally, is the anything else I should consider given the nature
of the chip that I'm trying to use?

Thanks in advance for the list's help...

/Jim