From: Gary Thomas [mailto:gary@chez-thomas.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 10:40 AM
To: George Sosnowski
Cc: eCos Discussion
Subject: Re: [ECOS] gdb over ethernet network support for ECOS
RAMapplication

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 11:20, George Sosnowski wrote:
> I'm running RedBoot on my target (powerpc 860T based) from flash,
> which has both serial and network (TCP 9000) support for GDB. When
> RedBoot loads an ECOS
> (v1.3) RAM
> application, what's the best way to configure the ecos ram application

> to have support/ maintain support for GDB over the network/ethernet
> (fec) , as well as serial?
>
> >From what I understand it looks like RAM applications are only
> >supposed
> to inherit
> serial gdb functionality?  Although the Redboot documentation says
"ecos
> contains
> special network sharing code to allow for this situation". I didn't
> notice anything at the
> ethernet (fec) or IP stack level. Have I overlooked this?
>
> One thought I had on doing this was to merge in the Redboot RAM
> functionality into
> my application.  This wouldn't maintain a gdb session over the network
> from the ROM
> Redboot, but would give gdb support over the network in RAM
application
> at least.

If you're running RedBoot from ROM, any network GDB connection will
remain, even after the eCos application starts up.  One caveat is that
RedBoot and your eCos application have to use unique IP addresses.  This
is normally done by giving RedBoot a static address and then letting the
eCos application either use a different static address or get an address
dynamically via DHCP.

Also note that once you start debugging via the network, the serial is
no longer part of the GDB "path".  Your application can do things with
it directly, e.g. by accessing it via the serial device drivers, but
only the network will be used for GDB control and/or output.

What platform are you using (just for my information)?