Re: malloc vs. new

Hi Scott,

As You have noted, the EB40 is indeed somewhat RAM-limited ;-)
Atmel does sell a variant of the EB40 with 2MB RAM, but they are unfortunately quite hard to come by so this seems to be a prototyping problem for quite many early AT91 projects.

We did an AT91-based mixed HW/SW project for the telecoms company Ericsson some time ago, and when the project was finished we were given the opportunity to buy a number of the proto boards we produced during the project. We are using them for internal prototyping, but have also sold a few boards to people doing AT91-prototyping.

Consequently, we have a number of AT9140F416 based (40400 with 2MB built-in flash) proto boards lying around here.
Some of them are equipped with 1MB RAM, and some with 2MB + Ethernet CS8900A. Both variants are also equipped with a Bluetooth module and a JTAG interface. The variant with 1MB RAM has USART0 connected to an RS232-port, while the 2MB variant has the RS232 connected to an external Philips UART (both internal USARTs are used for the BT module in that variant). Some more info, and pictures of "variant 2" can be found at: http://www.angelfire.com/linuc/tribe

So if You'd like to solve Your proto board RAM bottlenecks in a fast and simple way, drop me an email and I'll give You a "special eCos offer" for one or max two proto boards.

Happy AT91 hacking!
/Kjell
--
Kjell Svensson Embedded Technology Manager
Techtribe Solutions AB Tel: +46 (0)31 706 06 00