Re: IMM base for MPC8xx based Targets

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 09:40, Wolfgang Heppner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am porting my application from eCos 1.3.1 to the current CVS-Version.
> I am using a MPC8xx based board and derived my platform hal from the
> mbx-hal.
>
> I noticed that some init-functions failed, because the definition of the
> IMM baseaddress (CYGARC_REG_IMM_BASE in
> packages/hal/powerpc/mpc8xx/current/include/var_regs.h) has changed (my
> platform still uses 0xff000000 as IMM base)! As a workaround i had to
> change the variant hal.
>
> The location of the internal memorymap is platform dependend (it can be
> configured in hardware during power-up).
> Therefore there should be a way to set the IMM baseaddress in the
> platform hal (not in the variant hal) or even better - it should be
> configurable. Or did i miss anything?

No, this is something I noticed before, but since we mostly use RedBoot
as our platform startup (hence we control the value of IMM_BASE), such
configurability seems to have been left out.

The best way to fix this would be for the variant HAl (var_regs.h) to
allow for a platform file (plf_regs.h) which could provide overrides.
That would require updating all of the MPC8xx based platforms.