Re: Ethernet driver for linux synthetic target available

On Thursday 08 August 2002 07:01 am, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > Great !
> >
> > But just to clarify my mind, why should we need another linux kernel
> > module since ethertap exists ?
>
> Or even better the generic TUN/TAP driver which obsoletes ethertap.BTW tun
> is used as the virtual lowlevel driver by lwip-s unix simulation.
> I thought of converting that to ecos/synthetic but got confused by what
> can or cannot be safely called from it (execve,blocking read,etc)

Yes, that was one of the reasons I did not use TUN. Also it requires the
character device to control its network interface. But the main reason is I
need several ecos targets running simultaneously and talking to each other
and the host.

> And the copyright assignment Andrew mentioned is only needed when you want
> it included in 'official' eCos.You can make it publicly available before
> that.

I looked through the RedHat documents. I need some time to figure out what to
do about them. Meanwhile the code is in attachments to this email.
The files are relatively small, so they can not do much harm to mailboxes.

Nikolay