Re: Low network throughput using DHCP

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 07:51, Xavier wrote:

> > Which stack are you using? OpenBSD or Freebsd? Did you use template
> > net or new_net?
> >

> I tried both. Same results.
>

> > So there are no retransmits or lost packets? www.tcptrace.org is a
> > good tool for looking at TCP flows. Lost packets can have a big impact
> > on performance so first make sure this is not happening.
> >
> > I suppose something else to check is the information returned from
> > DHCP. Is the netmask, default router, etc correct?
> >

> >       Andrew
> >

> The DHCP info is correct. About 20% packets are retransmitted for one
> direction (from a Linux host to the target board), but only about 0.1%
> packets are retransmitted for the other direction (from the target board
> to the Linux host). If eCos is configured to use static IP, then there is no
> retransmitted packet at all. How could this happen?

Does the board under test end up with the same IP address when
configured statically vs. DHCP?  If not, can you try and make it so?

If they have different addresses, there may be some difference in how
packets are being passed around the network.  For example, with the DHCP
setup, the eCos system might think that everything needs to go through
some gateway whereas with the directly set IP address, it does not.

Perhaps you could send the initial IP address setup for each
configuration.  By this I mean the handful of lines that eCos prints
while it is configuring the interface.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |